The house was originally built by William F. Macintosh in 1881. The original house is contained in the living room and kitchen area. The house was sold to John A. Healy of St. Paul, MN, in 1916. Mr. Healy commissioned Samuel L Bartlett, to enlarge the small farm house into Tutor Revival style house. Samuel L. Bartlett was the architect for the Great Northern Railroad, and designed two lodges in Glacier National Park. The farm was named Hope Glen – Hope was John A. Healy Sr’s mothers maiden name.
A couple of interesting facts:
All the stones for the fence, pillars and the fireplace where found on this farm.
One morning in 1929, Mrs Healy served breakfast to a nice gentleman in a fine suit when he stopped by. He insisted she keep a ten dollar bill, which was a lot of money in those days. The next day she discovered that nice man was Machine Gun Kelly, passing through after robbing a bank.
The Barn was built by the original owner, William Macintosh in the 1850’s. The basement walls are of cut limestone, the structure is mortise and tenon joints held together with wooden dowel pins. It was originally used as a cattle barn. Then later a milking barn and later yet a horse barn.